YACINEWS
World

Donald Trump says Kim Jong-un summit could be back on after ‘productive talks’


The historic Trump-Kim Jong-un meeting on June 12 could be back on (Picture: AFP)

Donald Trump has confirmed the historic peace summit with Kim Jong-un could be back on following ‘productive talks’ with North Korea. 

The US president had axed the summit earlier this week after accusing Kim Jong-un’s regime of ‘tremendous anger and open hostility’.

But he has now said it could be back on following successful talks with North Korea and could take place on the initial date, June 12, in Singapore.

He tweeted: ‘We are having very productive talks with North Korea about reinstating the Summit which, if it does happen, will likely remain in Singapore on the same date, June 12th., and, if necessary, will be extended beyond that date.’

Mr Trump shocked the international community on Thursday when he pulled out of the historic summit after talks deteriorated.

On Thursday, White House officials had noted that Mr Trump had left the door open with a letter to Mr Kim that blamed ‘tremendous anger and open hostilit’” by Pyongyang but also urged Mr Kim to call him.

A pedestrian walks in front of a screen in Tokyo on May 25, 2018 flashing a news report relating to US President Donald Trump cancelling his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. North Korea declared it had "completely" dismantled its nuclear test site, in a carefully choreographed move portrayed as a goodwill gesture as US President Donald Trump on May 25 called off his planned June summit with Kim Jong Un, blaming "open hostility" from the North Korean regime and warning Pyongyang against committing any "foolish or reckless acts." / AFP PHOTO / Behrouz MEHRIBEHROUZ MEHRI/AFP/Getty Images

The US president had axed the summit earlier this week after accusing Kim Jong-un’s regime of ‘tremendous anger and open hostility’.  (Picture: AFP)

By Friday, North Korea issued a statement saying it was still ‘willing to give the US time and opportunities’ to reconsider talks ‘at any time, at any format’.

Mr Trump rapidly tweeted that the statement was ‘very good news’ and told reporters that ‘we’re talking to them now’.

Confident in his negotiating skills, Mr Trump made a quick decision to accept the sit-down in March, over the concerns of many top aides, and has remained committed, even amid rising concerns about the challenges he faces in scoring a positive agreement.

Asked on Friday if the North Koreans were playing games with their communications, Mr Trump responded: ‘Everybody plays games. You know that better than anybody.’

While the president did not detail the nature of the new US communication with the North on Friday, Defence Secretary Jim Mattis said at the Pentagon: ‘The diplomats are still at work on the summit, possibility of a summit, so that is very good news.’

He characterised the recent back-and-forth as the ‘usual give and take’.

In this photo provided by the North Korean government, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un speaks during a meeting of the 7th central military commission at an undisclosed place in North Korea, Thursday, May 18, 2018. Independent journalists were not given access to cover the event depicted in this image distributed by the North Korean government. The content of this image is as provided and cannot be independently verified. Korean language watermark on image as provided by source reads: "KCNA" which is the abbreviation for Korean Central News Agency. (Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP)

Trump has now said it could be back on following successful talks with North Korea and could take place on the initial date, June 12, in Singapore. (Picture: AP)

A previously planned trip by White House aides to Singapore this weekend to work on logistics for the trip remained on schedule, said two White House officials.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke on Friday with a top official from South Korea, whose leaders had appeared to be taken aback when Mr Trump withdrew from the summit.

Spokeswoman Heather Nauert said Pompeo and South Korean foreign minister Kang Kyung-wha reaffirmed their ‘shared commitment to the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula’ and pledged to coordinate “in all of their efforts to create conditions for dialogue with North Korea’.

South Korea’s government said in a statement released on Saturday that it was relieved about the revived talks for a summit.

Mr Trump’s comments on Friday came after days of mixed messages on the summit.

Mr Trump, in his letter to Mr Kim on Thursday, objected specifically to a statement from a top North Korean Foreign Ministry official. That statement referred to vice president

Mike Pence as a ‘political dummy’ for his comments on the North and said it was up to the Americans whether they would ‘meet us at a meeting room or encounter us at nuclear-to-nuclear showdown’.

The president then said from the White House that a ‘maximum pressure campaign’ of economic sanctions and diplomatic isolation would continue against North Korea – with which the US is technically still at war – though he added that it was possible the summit could still take place at some point.

A pedestrian walks in front of a screen in Tokyo on May 25, 2018 flashing a news report relating to US President Donald Trump cancelling his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. North Korea declared it had "completely" dismantled its nuclear test site, in a carefully choreographed move portrayed as a goodwill gesture as US President Donald Trump on May 25 called off his planned June summit with Kim Jong Un, blaming "open hostility" from the North Korean regime and warning Pyongyang against committing any "foolish or reckless acts." / AFP PHOTO / Behrouz MEHRIBEHROUZ MEHRI/AFP/Getty Images

North Korea issued a statement saying it was still ‘willing to give the US time and opportunities’ to reconsider talks ‘at any time, at any format’. (Picture: AFP)

A senior White House official said the North had reneged on its promises ahead of the summit, including a pledge to allow international inspectors to monitor its explosive destruction of its nuclear test site.

Mr Trump’s aides had warned that merely agreeing to the summit had provided Mr Kim with long-sought international legitimacy and, if Mr Trump ultimately backed out, he risked fostering the perception that the president was insufficiently committed to diplomatic solutions to the nuclear question.

US defence and intelligence officials have repeatedly assessed the North to be on the threshold of having the capability to strike anywhere in the continental US with a nuclear-tipped missile – a capacity that Mr Trump and other US officials have said they would not tolerate.

Russian president Vladimir Putin said from St Petersburg: ‘If you don’t behave aggressively and if you don’t corner North Korea, the result that we need will be achieved faster than many would think, and at less cost.’

Source: http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/26/donald-trump-says-historic-kim-jong-un-meeting-back-productive-talks-7579572

Related posts

Man who likes Taiwan so much he got it tattooed on his face beaten up in a bar

Harley Tamplin

Keep an eye out for this complete galah on the road today

Martine Berg Olsen

Iran’s supreme leader says Trump lied in speech and ‘cannot do a damn thing’

Joe Roberts

Leave a Comment